Saturday 28 May 2022

02-003 Poker Dice

02-003
Poker Dice

Poker Dice are probably the most common d6 dice variance in the western world. While browsing around Amazon or Walmart web stores, I found so many sellers selling Poker Dice at a very cheap price. It seems to me that every people in the west play Poker Dice almost every day, everywhere. Not so in my country.


Poker Dice

Poker dice are dice which, instead of having number pips, have representations of playing cards upon them. Poker dice have six sides, one each of an Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, and 9, and are used to form a poker hand.

I have never heard of Poker Dice. Maybe they are common in the western world, but I have never seen any shops around selling Poker Dice, even though most of the dice are made in China.

And I am not the only one around. I bought a set from Amazon. I showed them to my friends and colleagues. And none of them have seen Poker Dice before. “Oh! They look so cute. I have never seen a die with a king printed on its side.” That’s what I heard.

Poker Dice playing is fast, easy and requires almost no setup. Kids like them a lot. It mainly depends on luck but also a bit of strategy, to decide which dice to keep and which dice to reroll. A mix of luck and strategy produces a good game play.


Poker Dice from Da Vinci

Like playing cards, Poker Die is in public domain. It is not copyrighted and anyone can made. I bought my set from a manufacturer called Da Vinci. The dice come with no box but only a small yellow envelope with a sticker on it, printed with the brand name. There is no instruction. I got them for 6 US dollars, included shipping.


I got a Play-Doh box from my daughter to store them.

The dice are heavy and looks nice. But a close examination will find out that they are not exactly cubes. Don’t know how this would affect the randomness. But I believe with this price, I can get something better.

General Information

Player

2 to 12

Playing Time

10 mins

Age

8+

Year Released

1881

Designer

(Public Domain)

Publisher

Da Vinci

Family

Betting and Bluffing

Score

5.1 (Board Game Geek)

Specifications

Dice size

16mm, or any size but not too small

# of dice

5

Faces

6

Details

Poker dice are d6 dice with each of its six faces marked with representations of playing cards, one each of an Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, and 9. 

Manufacturers have not standardized the colors of the face sides. But in tradition, red are used for kings, green for queens and blue for jacks.

The game play

Where to buy?

Everywhere. Or Amazon.

Hacking

Poker dice may also be played with ordinary six-sided dice; the sides then count 1 (aces)-6-5-4-3-2 in descending order.


Go back to the Lobby ...


No comments:

Post a Comment