Monday 11 April 2022

01-004 Skip-Bo

01-004
Skip-Bo

I have been hearing about Mattel since young. And I started playing UNO since my teenage, which is some 30 years ago. Mattel has entered the toy market of Hongkong since long. However, which I don’t quite understand why, Mattel is not eager to promote their card games here, apart from UNO and, until recently, DOS.

I first came across Skip-Bo while doing a research on games “from the maker of UNO”. I bought a Mattel value pack of 8 games from Amazon. And I also included a pack of Skip-Bo. Amazon gives free shipment for any purchase up to 50 dollars. The cards were delivered by courier and reaching my home just 5 days after I click the payment button.

After learning that Skip-Bo also has an even longer history than UNO, I was desperate to play it with my kids. With a total of 162 cards, the box of Skip-Bo is bigger than those of other American card games. The design of the deck is very simple though. There is only one suit and no face cards. The only special card in the deck is the wild card “Skip Bo”.


Skip-Bo

Like UNO, Skip-Bo is a shedding game. The first player to get rid of all his cards win. But the game play is totally different from UNO. It is a game about following number sequence and is a perfect game for little kids to learn counting.

General Information

Player

2 to 6

Playing Time

20 mins

Age

8+

Year Released

1967

Designer

Hazel "Skip" Bowman

Publisher

Mattel, Inc.

Family

Shedding / Stops

Score

5.5 (Board Game Geek)

Specifications

Card size

US game size cards
(55.9mm x 87.1mm, 2.2" x 3.43")

Deck size

162 cards

# of suits

n/a

Details

The whole deck consists of the following cards:

  • 12x 1
  • 12x 2
  • 12x 3
  • 12x 4
  • 12x 5
  • 12x 6
  • 12x 7
  • 12x 8
  • 12x 9
  • 12x 10
  • 12x 11
  • 12x 12
  • 18x “Skip-Bo”

The game play

Where to buy?

Amazon.

Hacking

The game can be hacked by using 3 identical standard decks of playing cards, perfectly in bridge size.

Ignore the suits. Assume A’s are 1s, and 2s are 2s etc. Jacks are 11s. Queens are 12s. And all Kings and Jokers are the wild cards “Skip-Bo”.


Go back to the Lobby ...


No comments:

Post a Comment