Saturday 17 February 2024

07-021 disORIENTation

07-021
disORIENTation

Buying a busking CD is rather hit or miss. This applies to Hong Kong. This applies to Germany as well.


Busker in Marienplatz

Buskers are everywhere in Marienplatz. Most of them sing very well or play very good music. But only a few of them sell CDs. We are living in the 2020s. Everything goes cyber. It is a world dominated by Instagram and Tik Tok. Most people don’t even have a working CD player at home.


Gypsy woman busking outside Hugendubel bookstore at Marienplatz

But I still like CDs. They give me a feeling of “owning” the music. It happened that after visiting the Jüdisches Museum München, I found this couple playing music outside the department store Ludwig Beck. They played so well and attracted a crowd of audiences. And they sold CDs. I told myself, “I mustn’t miss this chance!”


Ludwig Beck at Marienplatz

Their music is so good!

But when I was about to pull out my wallet, I realized that I didn’t have any small change. During my whole week in Munich, I had hardly spent any cash. I paid almost everything by credit card. I was still carrying those 50 EURO banknotes that I got from the bank in Hong Kong.

I quickly went into the U-bahn station nearby and grabbed a bottle of water, paying cash. But when I came back to Ludwig Beck with some changes on hand, they were gone! I was gone for just 2 minutes, but they were already gone. I tried walking around for 20 minutes but could not find any trace of them. I did not even get their name. There was not even a chance for me to buy their CD from eBay.

Luckily, I got another chance of acquiring a busking CD in Germany earlier that week. In one of the nights out with my colleagues, I met an old man playing an accordion outside Frauenkirche. He played very well. And he also sold CDs. Since I was with my colleagues, I quickly grabbed a CD from him and left. I had no chance of taking any photo of him. I was amazed. He said “Xie! Xie!” to me. I was talking to him in English. I don’t know why he know that I was a Chinese.


The CD album "disORIENTation"

Only after I came back to Hong Kong, did I have time to really listen to his music and find out what his CD was about.

The title of the CD is called “disORIENTation”. The music was recorded in Church Town Studios of Munich some 20 years ago, in 2004. And the CD was not performed by a single person but by a group called The Bridge Ensemble. “disORIENTation” is their second, and probably the last album. It contains 20 tracks with titles like Bulgar, Dimitrio, Nostalgia, Libertango, and Sherele. The album features instruments such as accordion, bayan, cello, clarinet, double bass, dulcimer, guitar, keyboards, percussion, and violin.


Inside of the CD

The Bridge Ensemble was formed in 2000 by Adam Mazurek. The group consists of artists who are “searching for the sources of culture in the traditions of various nations and ethnic groups.” At the time of recording, there were 10 artists in the group, old and young, men and women. There were members from Poland, Germany, Ukraine, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, and Belarus. They play various styles of music, such as Sephardic, Polka, Klezmer, Armenian, Greek, and Balkan.

The title “disORIENTation” was referred to the then world situation. “Disorientation in the world has reached a critical level”, as stated in the CD insert. Looking back to what it said 20 years ago, their prediction was surprisingly true.

I found that the album was also religious. Not only did there are Jewish music in the album. The cover picture was adapted from the Quran “The Paradise found under the feet of good people.”

The backcover of the CD says its cover picture is adapted from the Koran

I guess the accordionist I met was Alexander Schamigov. Too bad that I had no time to talk with him longer. If I had been given the chance, I would definitely have asked him where the other members in the ensemble were.

Now, his CD is sitting next to my Hi-Fi, together with the other 2 CDs of Pepito. I am happy to acquire it into my collection.


Go back to the Lobby ...


No comments:

Post a Comment