Sunday 1 May 2022

01-015 O’NO 99

01-015
O’NO 99

Designed in 1980, O’NO 99 is an old game. Many have played it. I did not. As I said before, Mattel is not eager selling their card games here.


O'NO 99

I first knew this game when I was researching on cards made by the maker of UNO. The research was done at the beginning of 2021. At that time, O’NO 99 was unavailable on Amazon. I guess it was out of print at that time. I found it listed on Amazon again while making another purchase of cards at the beginning of this year. I grabbed one.

Then Hongkong underwent a big wave of Omicron attack. We were in a semi lock down status for more than 2 months. Now, we are better. And I started going back to office and walking around different shopping mall and out of my surprise, I saw this.

Toy’s “Я”us here is selling something other than UNO! I just can’t believe my own eyes!


O'NO 99 selling in Hongkong Toys “Я”Us

I am not sure why choosing this game to promote but not other classics like Phase 10 or Skip-Bo. I guess maybe because the name O’NO 99 resembles one of the popular local internet slang, on99, which literally means “f**king stupid”!

As I already got one from my mail order, I bought something else. At the cashier, the saleslady asked me, “Do you want buy a copy of our new UNO?”

What? New UNO? Is this an UNO? And you call a 1980 game new? Toys “Я”Us, if you don’t know how to train your staff, then you just sell UNO. Nothing else. OK?

The deck contains no suits. Cards are mainly number cards with a bunch of functional cards. I saw some older versions contain chips and fewer cards. My pack contains 112 cards but no chips. And actually, chips are not necessary.

I played a round with my son and this is his comment: “It is such a boring game!”

General Information

Player

2 to 8

Playing Time

30 min

Age

7+

Year Released

1980

Designer

Unknown

Publisher

Mattel, Inc.

Family

Addingup-type

Score

5.2 (Board Game Geek)

 Specifications

Card size

US game size cards
(55.9mm x 87.1mm, 2.2" x 3.43")

Deck size

112 cards

# of suits

n/a

Details

The whole deck consists of the following cards:

  • 8x 0
  • 6x 1
  • 6x 2
  • 6x 3
  • 6x 4
  • 6x 5
  • 6x 6
  • 6x 7
  • 6x 8
  • 6x 9
  • 10x 10

And for functional cards:

  • 10x -10
  • 10x Reverse
  • 10x Play 2
  • 10x ONO 99

The game play

Where to buy?

Toys “Я”Us or Amazon.


Go back to the Lobby ...


No comments:

Post a Comment